Thursday, January 13, 2011

Living Out of ME

The consistent theme that kept appearing this week was how to be our own true self, regardless of external pressures or influences to be someone that we’re not. Many group members expressed the difficulty in expressing emotions verbally (without using their eating disorder), and standing up for themselves when they knew they needed to say something. The question underlying this is “who am I, and what defines me, without my eating disorder?” This can be scary and exhilarating at the same time.

Often in recovery, relationships change because we’ve changed, and it can be difficult to redefine yourself and live in your truth, regardless of what friends, spouses, co-workers, and family members think. So the group asked, how do I let go live from my true identity and let go of the influence of other’s opinions? It takes honesty, self-awareness, integrity and the courage to live out who we truly are.

I’m astounded still at the group’s desire to discover who they are without their eating disorder, continue growing into their true identity, and use their voice to express what’s going on inside. Maturity was shown as members expressed a willingness to grow, be authentic with themselves and others, and trust in the process even when don’t feel it. I applaud the group in this endeavor and encourage everyone to continue to discover and live out of the unique person they are.

Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment