First, I want to show my appreciation to the group for welcoming me as a new co-facilitator, and allowing me to be a part of your journey towards recovery. For the past three meetings, I have been amazed at the group’s solidarity, honesty, and generous support for one another. It takes a lot of courage to be vulnerable and real about eating disorders with others, and I applaud this.
This week’s group consisted of a mixture of somber challenges followed by encouraging feedback. Several members explained their successes as their challenges. For example, when we give something up that’s detrimental to our recovery (a relationship, an ineffective habit, a quick and temporary escape, or the masks we try to wear), we also forfeit the benefits that came alongside it. The small steps were emphasized as actually momentous steps towards recovery, like making the choice not to look at the scale, taking needed medications, self care, reaching out to others for help, and making an action plan for times of intense distress. Members discussed that even though recovery requires letting go of things that brought (perceived) comfort before, there is much opportunity to grow, be free, discover your true self, and experience authentic relationships without ED dominating you.
I continue to encourage you to keep making those small choices that will propel you on your path into recovery. They truly do make all the difference. Looking forward to seeing all of you next week,
Kathryn
No comments:
Post a Comment